Tuesday, January 17, 2012

To Work or Not To Work...

I used to be a working mom. I used to get up 5 days a week and go to work. My daughters went to day care. My daughters are 17 months apart. When M was 20 months and A 12 weeks, we began our 6 month journey of Mommy trying to stay sane while caring for 2 babies and working full time. It was exhausting getting the 3 of us ready every day. I didn't dust my house for months. I loathed my boss and had enough of her cluelessness. But, I carried the health benefits. So I had to work. Then something amazing happened. Hubby got a new job with great benefits. We did the math over and over. If I helped out at Dad's restaurant one or two shifts a week, I could stay home. Not paying for day care was a HUGE bump in our take home income.

I've been a SAHM for just under three years. Best decision I ever made. I couldn't hack it being a working mom and applaud the women out there that can. That being said. I've read a few articles out there this week about working moms and stay at home moms. And the articles themselves are meant to be funny, and I love them. But when really irritates me is the nonsense comments from people. Being a SAHM was a choice I made. I don't ask you to judge me because of it. And I won't judge you for working everyday. Why can't people just lighten up???





1 comment:

PletcherFamily said...

I recently did what you did. I became a stay at home mom after working for 14 years as a nurse. My daughter has special needs and we run a foundation, and working full time and doing all that was crazy. We are financially able to manage me being at home and that has made a big difference for our family this year.

I would never have slammed a SAHM when I was working and I would never slam working mom's now that I am not. Do I have more flexibility and less stress now that I am not working? Sure. But the work is DIFFERENT - and I hate cleaning. :)

I found your blog on "People I Want to Punch in the Throat"

Take care,
Jennifer
www.pletcher5journey.blogspot.com